JOB OPPORTUNITY: Managing Director
WP is hiring a Managing Director (MD), a full-time position requiring a skillful leader and business innovator. The MD, in coordination and partnership with the Producing Artistic Director, and in consultation with the Board of Directors, will be responsible for ensuring the fiscal success and the smooth operations of this small, but fierce, nonprofit theater company. The MD must have an established track record in identifying and growing revenue opportunities and raising funds from a variety of sources, including both earned and contributed income.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- In partnership with the Producing Artistic Director, provide institutional leadership, while staying true to WPT’s mission.
- Actively engage with and energize the WPT community, including Board members, funders, staff, artists, audience and volunteers.
- Develop, maintain, and support a strong Board of Directors.
Financial & General Management:
- Develop and maintain all organizational, program and production budgets, including reporting to governmental and independent funders.
- Execute monthly financial reports and cash flow statements.
- Oversee and ensure the accurate and timely execution of the annual audit.
- Manage the human resource function for the organization.
- Serve as the primary representative in all union relations and insure compliance with union contracts, and local, state and federal laws pertaining to employment.
- Supervise WPT’s full and part-time administrative, theater & marketing staff members.
- Negotiate and execute all contracts with producing partners, venues, independent contractors and employees.
- Serve as WP’s “fundraiser-in-chief” and strive to exceed annual revenue goals.
- Supervise WP’s development team to create and execute comprehensive development strategies to increase contributed income.
- Lead and facilitate the identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of existing donors and donor prospects.
- Play an active role in the recruitment of new Board members and seek ways to maximize each member’s contributions.
- Provide staff leadership to all committees of the Board, but in particular the Finance and Audit committees.
The ideal candidate will have a minimum of 7-9 years management and fundraising experience, excellent communication skills, an ability to effectively multi-task, experience with databases, and a demonstrable interest in WPT’s mission. S/he will be collaborative in spirit, and possess an interest in creative problem solving and relationship building. Salary is competitive and health benefits are included. To apply, send cover letter, resume, salary requirements, and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please. Women’s Project Theater is an equal opportunity employer.
ARTIST SUBMISSION POLICY
Women’s Project Theater supports a rotating Lab of five playwrights. Our commitment to the current and alumnae writers from the Playwrights Lab, limits the number of productions available to writers outside the Lab.
Submission Procedure: WP Theater does not accept unsolicited scripts. Plays must be submitted through a bona fide industry agent.
If you would like to invite a WP staff member to come see a reading, workshop or production, please send invitations to “literary at womensproject dot org”. We receive many requests and are only able to attend a limited number of events.
WP’s commitment to the current and alumnae directors from the Directors Lab severely limits the number of productions available to directors outside the Lab. Early and mid-career directors are encouraged to apply for the Lab.
Mail your resume to: Women’s Project Theater, Attn. Production, 55 West End Avenue
New York, New York 10023
If an appropriate opportunity arises, then we may contact you to set up a portfolio review/meeting. Submissions will not be returned or responded to unless we have an opening.
WP is signatory to a collectively bargained agreement with Actors’ Equity Association. WP auditions AEA actors through agent submissions. WP also conducts one Equity Principal Audition for each mainstage production. If you’d like to be considered for a role in an upcoming production and are a member of Actors’ Equity, please find the casting call notices posted at AEA. Do not phone, fax or visit. Please note that we do not accept headshots or resumes via mail or email.
HOW TO APPLY: Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the position title in subject line. Attachments must be in PDF format or they will not be opened. No phone calls please.
Off-Broadway Theater Internship
Make professional contacts and learn all aspects of producing theater in NYC by interning at Women’s Project Theater. Interns in our busy office assist in a variety of areas, including reading and cataloguing scripts, researching donor prospects, liaising with artists, and helping with audience development, box office reporting and marketing. Ideal candidates will have a command of MS Word and Excel, a desire to learn, and a sense of humor.