“The Lab is a force to be reckoned with. It’s like a cross between a creative think tank, a stimulating lecture series, a new works development lab, and a ridiculously fun artists’ retreat happening smack in the middle of NYC.”
– Mia Rovegno, Director
Applications are closed for the 2018-2020 Lab
WP Theater is looking for female-identified or trans playwrights, directors, and producers who crave an artistic home, professional support, and the resources to launch them into the next phase of their careers to join the WP Lab.
The Lab provides up to fifteen artists with community, a vital professional network, entrepreneurial and leadership training, free rehearsal space and, most significantly, tangible opportunities for the development and production of bold new work for the stage.
Applications will re-open Spring 2020.
REQUIREMENTS FOR ELIGIBILITY:
- Must be a female-identified or trans artist living within 90 minutes of WP Theater via car or rail
- Must be able to attend evening meetings at WP Theater twice each month for the duration of the two years, as well as other events throughout the year, such as master classes, retreats, observerships and other special events at WP
- Regular attendance is mandatory and therefore applicants should view the program as a two-year-long commitment
- Must be available for an in-person interview
THE PARTICIPATING ARTISTS WILL:
- Receive a stipend
- Participate in a monthly lab meeting led by WP Artistic Staff and Lab Liaisons
- Participate in a bimonthly meeting of the five artists in their concentration led by a mentor in their field
- Participate in master classes led by established artists
- Receive complimentary tickets to WP shows, invited dress rehearsals and other special events
- Receive artistic support and professional development guidance from the artistic staff
- Participate in The Pipeline Festival, a festival of five new plays, written, directed and produced by the WP Lab, to be presented during the second year
For further clarification of Requirements for Eligibility, please see the Frequently Asked Questions section below.
- All applicants must submit the following:
- Current resume
- One page statement that describes your artistic vision and the specific process behind it and why this residency would be useful for you in this moment of your career.
- A list of 3 professional references, including title/affiliation, phone and email
- In a separate PDF, the full length script most representative of your work and that you believe to be ready for production.
- The draft should not have your name or any other identifiers.
- The play must be at least 60 pages long, and must be a completed draft, though it need not be a final draft.
- Directors & Producers:
- A list of upcoming productions, workshops, readings and other projects with dates, venues, and your role.
- You may also include a link to your website, or other online resources.
- Additional materials should not exceed 3 pages and may include reviews (no excerpts) and photos
- Hard copy applications will not be accepted.
- Emailed applications will not be accepted.
All materials will be reviewed by a panel of theater professionals. Finalists will be notified in the spring 2018 and asked to interview in the summer 2018. The 2018-2020 Lab will begin in September 2018.
For further clarification of materials required for application, please see the Frequently Asked Questions Section below.
PLEASE VISIT OUR SUBMITTABLE SITE TO APPLY.
- YOU MAY ONLY APPLY TO ONE DISCIPLINE PER LAB CYCLE.
- Hard copy applications will not be accepted
- Emailed applications will not be accepted.
- If you have specific questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org after reading the Frequently Asked Questions section below. No phone calls, or emailed applications please.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What kind of conflicts would make me ineligible?
We accept that every artist will wind up missing one or two meetings, but if you know now that you will be away for more than three weeks in total in during the lab dates, you should not apply. Applicants should view the program as a two-year-long commitment and we will only accept applicants who can take full advantage of the program.
I’m not available for an in-person interview—may I still apply?
If you are unavailable for an in-person interview or have a limited conflict in regards to attending biweekly meetings, please make note of such conflicts in your application. We will try to accommodate such situations on a case-by-case basis.
When will the monthly meetings be held?
We will provide a schedule of meetings for finalists at the interview, so you need not worry about this question at the application stage.
If I am selected for the group and then my eligibility status changes, would I be automatically suspended from the program?
No, we will handle this situation on a case-by-case basis. Please do not let such a concern keep you from applying.
What kind of resume should I submit?
Your resume should list all readings, workshops or productions. Your resume should also include any other relevant theater experience.
If I can’t decide between two plays or have an additional writing sample that I am very proud of, may I include more than one play with my application?
No, we only read one play per applicant, so please only submit one writing sample.
May I send in music along with the book of my musical?
Please do, and give credit to the composer and lyricist.
Is there an age limit? Are you looking for young writers?
No, there is no age limit and we would be glad to admit a talented artist of any age into the program.
Will you let me know that you received my application?
Yes, we will email you once we have processed your application.
May I follow-up with you about my application status?
Yes, please email email@example.com.
If I have had some contact with a WP staff member, would it be better to contact them directly with my question rather than write to firstname.lastname@example.org?
No, please write to email@example.com, but feel free to mention any contact with a WP staff member in your email.
Thank you for your interest in the WP Lab—we look forward to your application!